Dandruff is a most common hair and scalp problem faced by the people of all ages all over the world. It occurs basically by shedding of dead skin from the dry, extremely oily or microbe-infected scalp that result in redness, itchiness, flaking and irritation of the scalp. To restore the balanced moisture, a dry and dehydrated scalp produces excess sebum which consequently blocks the hair follicles. These hair follicles attract microbes and leads to bacterial and fungal infection of the scalp causing Seborrhoeic Dermatitis, psoriasis and dandruff.
Applying natural oils to the scalp and hair is a great natural way to prevent dandruff and over all dryness in the scalp. Mainly the dandruff is caused when the scalp becomes dry and begins to flakes. So, try these natural oil methods which are described below to combat dandruff and also to ease the irritated scalp.
Coconut Oil for Dandruff:
- Coconut oil works as a deep moisturizer which can help to take care of dry scalp and treats dandruff effectively.
- It has antifungal properties which treats the fungus which causes the dandruff.
- It works well for reconditioning dry hair because of its molecular structure as it penetrating the hair shaft, getting past the cuticle, repairing and preventing damage from inside out.
- It has lauric acid, capric acid and vitamin E will helps to restructure hair, increase hair’s strength by preventing protein loss and finally improves shine to your hair.
- It is an edible oil that has antibiotic and nutritional properties that possess high viscosity and combustibility that helps to prevent the dryness of the scalp and dandruff when applied regularly.
Method – 1: (Coconut Oil)
- Wash your hair but make sure that not to use any conditioners
- Dry your hair after shampooing but does not feel silky as it has to feel dry.
- Then apply coconut oil on your scalp and don’t get it into the rest of your hair.
- Wash your hair to clear the oil for twice a day
- Repeat the process once weekly until you get complete relief from the dandruff.
Method – 2: (Hot Coconut Oil Massage)
- Take 100 percent pure coconut oil which is in a solid form
- Heat it either in stove or microwave to get hot liquid coconut oil
- Apply this hot oil on your scalp but not the hair
- Massage it gently the coconut oil in your scalp with your finger tips
- Cover your head with a towel or shower cap and allow it to treat your scalp for 15 – 20 minutes
- After that rinse your hair thoroughly by using a deep moisturizing conditioner
- Continue doing this process for once a week to control the dandruff completely.
Method – 3: (Coconut Oil with Lime Juice)
- Take 5 tablespoon of coconut oil and add a tablespoon of lemon juice into it
- Mix it well and apply on your scalp
- Massage it gently and leave it for 20 – 30 minutes
- Wash it off with shampoo to get rid of the dandruff
- Cover your hair with warm towel to prevent dandruff on your scalp.
- Or you can mix the lemon juice in a warm coconut oil (under indirect heat)
- Or you can try consumption of coconut oil or coconut oil supplements (capsules) each day which helps to treat dandruff and dryness of the skin.
- Regular repeating of the same process will helps to prevent the dandruff.
Method – 4: (Coconut Oil with Fenugreek)
- Take a tablespoon of fenugreek seeds and crush it well. Fenugreek seeds are anti-fungus and they remove the fungus that is growing inside and outside the scalp.
- Take 5 tablespoons of coconut oil and warm it
- Mix this fenugreek powder into that warm oil
- Apply this on your scalp when the oil comes to room temperature
- Then let it sit for about 2 hours and wash it off with water followed by mild shampoo.
- Process has to be repeated regularly to get rid of the mild shampoo.
Method – 5: (Coconut Oil for Overnight)
- Take 3 – 5 tablespoons of coconut oil and apply it onto the scalp
- Massage it gently all over your scalp for few minutes
- Let it sit for at overnight
- Then next morning, rinse your hair as normal with your shampoo but make sure that you need not to use conditioner as coconut oil hair mask is a fantastic pre-conditioner.
- Do this method every day for 5 – 7 days to get dandruff clear hair.
Method – 6: (Coconut Oil with Rosemary Oil)
- Take a small amount of rosemary oil and add few drops of coconut oil into it
- Mix it well and apply this to your scalp
- Leave it for few minutes and wash it off to get rid of the dandruff
- Repeat it for every alternative day to get complete relief from the dandruff.
Method – 7: (Coconut Oil with Other Essential Oils)
- Take a cup of coconut oil, a teaspoon of tea tree oil, 4 drops of cedar wood essential oil and 2 drops of ylang ylang
- Mix all the above ingredients very well and apply it on your scalp
- Massage it gently on your scalp and leave it for at least an hour so that it will penetrate into your hair and scalp
- Rinse your hair with shampoo and water
- Do this method for once a week to prevent dandruff and also to make your hair soft and shiny.
Method – 8: (Coconut Oil with Camphor)
- Take a teaspoon of camphor and add this to half cup of coconut oil
- Mix it well and store it in an airtight container.
- Apply this to your scalp and massage it for 10 minutes
- Do this for each night before going to bed
- Continue this method for 2 weeks and your dandruff will be controlled.
Tea Tree Oil for Dandruff:
- Tea tree oil will effectively fights against the fungus that causes dandruff without drying the scalp and it is a natural conditioner too.
- Tea tree oil contains natural antiseptic and antibiotic which smells fantastic. It efficiently treats the dandruff without any side effects.
Method – 1: (Tea Tree Oil with regular shampoo)
- Take few drops of tea tree oil and add this to your regular shampoo mixture
- Or you use shampoo that has 5 percent of tea tree oil
- Apply this to your hair and leave it for few minutes
- Rinse it off thoroughly and repeat the process once for 2 days.
Method – 2: (Diluted Tea Tree Oil Spray)
- Take a tablespoon of tea tree oil and mix it in a cup of warm water
- Mix it well and pour it in an empty spray bottle
- Then spray the solution after taking shampoo to your hair
- Now massage your hair and scalp with this spray
- Pat it dry and continue following this process regularly to get clear from dandruff.
Method – 3: (Tea Tree Oil with Carrier Oils)
- Mix tea tree oil and carrier oil (like almond oil or olive oil) in 10:1 ratio i.e. 10 drops of tea tree oil with 1 teaspoon of carrier oil
- Stir it well and massage it on your scalp
- Leave it on for about 30 minutes
- Rinse your hair with normal water followed by the shampoo
- Follow up regularly to get complete relief from the dandruff and dry scalp.
Method – 4: (Tea Tree Oil with Grape Seed Oil)
- Take 12 drops of tea tree oil and add this to 1 oz of grape seed oil
- Mix it well and apply this to the scalp
- Regular application helps to get relief from the dandruff.
- Wait for few minutes and then wash your hair with shampoo and water.
- You can also use jojoba oil in the place of grape seed oil.
Tea Tree Oil shampoo for Dandruff:
There are many tea tree oil containing shampoos available in the market like Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shampoo, Jason Tea tree scalp shampoo, etc. which are very effectively treats the dandruff. You can try any of these shampoo but make sure that it has to contain 5 percent of tea tree oil as an ingredient in that shampoo.
Olive Oil for Dandruff:
Olive oil will soothe the scalp and gently rejuvenating the scalp with its moisture and nutrition. This will prevent the dandruff very effectively.
Olive oil replenishes dry, brittle and damaged hair as olive oil dandruff treatment target on the scalp rather than the follicles.
Olive oil when applied on the scalp will soak into thick, scaly areas on the scalp that cause persistent dandruff. This will hydrated them enough to allow them to loosen and release in a large pieces instead of smaller flakes. This will put a complete end to the dandruff and other hair problems.
Method – 1: (Hot Olive Oil Treatment)
- Take few drops of olive oil and make it warm on indirect heat
- Use this warm oil to massage it on your scalp.
- Then wrap your hair with towel
- Leave it for about 30 minutes and rinse it off with normal water and shampoo.
- Or you can massage this warm oil on the scalp in circular motion before going to bed and wash it off in the morning with a mild shampoo.
Method – 2: (Olive Oil)
- Take olive oil and apply it to your hair before washing your hair
- Let it sit for about 5 – 10 minutes to do its work on dandruff
- Wash your hair to get rid of the dandruff
- Also apply the olive oil once more before going to bed
- Cover your hair with towel or cotton cap or else use an old pillowcase to absorb the oil
- In the next morning, you will wake up with a dandruff free head.
- Repeating it regularly for a week will helps to get rid of the dandruff completely.
Method – 3: (Olive Oil with Black Pepper)
- Take 3 teaspoons of olive oil and add a teaspoon of black pepper powder. Black pepper has dandruff fighting minerals, zinc and selenium and used effectively to treat dandruff.
- Mix it well and apply it by massaging it on your scalp
- Allow it to sit for about an hour and then shampoo your hair
- It’s better to apply it on scalp in night and leave it for overnight
- Repeat the process continuously for 3 – 4 nights to have complete relief from the dandruff.
Method – 4: (Olive Oil with Saran Wrap)
- Take 1/2 cup of warm olive oil and wet your hair with water so as it to prevent it from absorbing any oil.
- Then take a gravy brush and use it to apply the oil to your scalp
- Now wrap your head in saran wrap (above your eyes, nose and mouth)
- Let it sit for about 30 – 40 minutes and rinse it off thoroughly
- Continue doing the process regularly to clear the dandruff.
Method – 5: (Olive Oil with Apple Cider Vinegar)
- Take 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons of distilled water and 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Add all these ingredients in a small bowl and stir it well
- Wet your hair until it’s just damp and pour the rinse over your head.
- Then massage it into your scalp with your fingers
- Leave it on your scalp for about 20 – 25 minutes
- Shampoo your hair normally and continue doing it.
Jojoba Oil for Dandruff:
- Jojoba oil is not an oil but it is a wax ester that makes the closest approximation to human sebum. It balances the natural oils and helps not to clog pores. It moisturizes the dry flakes on your scalp and removes dandruff very effectively.
- Jojoba oil dissolves the excess sebum (excess oil on your scalp), cleanses your hair and scalp by preventing the dry, dandruff and damaged hair. It balances the proper pH balances for healthy and natural growth of hair and scalp.
Method – 1: (Jojoba Oil with Lavender Oil)
- Take 1 oz of jojoba oil and add 16 drops of lavender essential oil (Or tea tree oil)
- Mix both of these oils in a clean container
- Then pour or drop a quarter – sized amount of these oils into your palms and spread it evenly by using your fingers
- Now massage deeply on your scalp for about a minute or two by adding more of the oil if needed.
- Remember to do an up-down zigzag motion on the base of your skull by rubbing with fingernails.
- You have to start with each hand behind your ears and making your hands to meet just right above your neck.
- Do this process of up-down zigzag for several times and for the top of your scalp, you have to rub from your ears to the middle of your scalp but horizontally
- At last you have done a deep rub or massage to your scalp
- Leave it for about 20 minutes by covering your head with shower cap and then wash it off with shampoo and water.
- Continue this process for better results.
Method – 2: (Jojoba Oil Conditioner)
- Add few drops of Jojoba oil into your regular condition (10 drops of oil for a 3 oz of bottle)
- Mix it and shake it well to combine the oil in the conditioner.
- After washing your hair with shampoo, then condition your hair with this mixture.
- Leave it on for about 3 – 5 minutes and wash it with water
- Use this conditioner whenever you shampoo your hair for dandruff free and healthy hair.
Method – 3: (Jojoba Oil)
- Take few drops of jojoba oil and apply it directly on your scalp and hair by massaging it
- Wrap your hair with a hot towel and leave it for about 10 – 15 minutes
- Finally wash your hair with shampoo and conditioner
- This process helps to have squeaky clean, healthy, beautiful and dandruff clear hair.
- Repeat the process regularly for better results.
Neem Oil for Dandruff:
- Neem oil is a vegetable oil that has been extracted from the seeds and fruits of neem tree. This oil makes your scalp smooth and shiny. It is an effective treatment for dandruff.
- Neem oil acts as natural insect repellent which possess insecticidal properties that treats dandruff very effectively.
- Neem oil contains anti-microbial properties that kill the bacteria and fungus causing dandruff.
- Regular application of neem oil may also resolve thinning hair problems and helps to promote the growth by strengthening it and prevents it from the infections.
Method – 1: (Neem Oil with Apple Cider Vinegar)
- Wash your hair thoroughly and apply small amount of apple cider vinegar to your scalp
- Leave it for a minute or two and then rinse it off
- Dry your hair partially and apply a little amount of neem oil to your scalp
- Finally dry it off with a clean towel and repeat it to get rid of the dandruff.
Method – 2: (Neem Shampoo)
- Take 1/2 teaspoon of neem oil and add this to your regular shampoo
- Shake it well to mix the ingredients properly
- Or you can use the shampoo that contains neem oil as an ingredient in it.
- Wash your hair with this shampoo mixture once a week to cure dandruff completely.
Method – 3: (Neem Oil with Olive Oil)
- Take a capful of neem oil from the neem oil bottle
- Add this to a tablespoon of olive oil and mix it well
- Apply this to your scalp and let it sit for about 20 – 25 minutes
- Then wash your hair to prevent dandruff.
Method – 4: (Neem Oil with Tea Tree Oil and Basil Oil)
- Take neem oil, tea tree oil and basil oil in equal quantities
- Mix it well and apply this onto your scalp
- Let it sit for about 1 – 2 hours
- Shampoo your hair to get dandruff clear hair and continue doing it.
- In this process, you can use rosemary oil in the place of basil oil.
Castor Oil for Dandruff:
- Castor oil kills the bacteria that cause dandruff on your scalp and moisturizes the skin by ending dry flakes.
- Castor oil contains antifungal and antibacterial properties that are very effective in treating scalp infections like dandruff
- Castor oil is loaded with essential nutrients such as amino acids, omega – 6 fatty acids and vitamin E as all these will moisturizes dry flakes and itchy scalp which helps to eliminate the dandruff.
- Castor oil is filled with plenty of excellent vital nutrients like vitamin E, minerals and proteins which help to have a healthy hair.
Method – 1: (Castor Oil)
- Take small amount of castor oil in a bowl
- Apply it on your scalp by using a cotton ball
- Let it sit for about 20 – 25 minutes
- Rinse it off thoroughly and dry your hair
- Method has to be repeated every day until you get complete relief from the dandruff.
Method – 2: (Castor Oil with Olive Oil)
- Take small amount of castor oil and olive oil
- Mix it well and slightly warm it up
- Apply it on your scalp by massaging gently on the head
- Then wrap your head with a warm towel and leave it for about 10 – 15 minutes
- Now, wash your hair with good quality shampoo and this helps to clear the scalp.
- Continue doing it regularly until you get relief from the dandruff.
You have to follow these points for dandruff free and healthy hair.
- Hot oil therapy is one of the best home treatment for the prevention and control of common dandruff why because it relieves dryness of the scalp and prevents clogging of the pores of the scalp. Here, you use any above mentioned oil for this hot treatment.
- You can use combination of any of the above mentioned oils like olive oil with castor oil, tea tree oil with coconut oil, etc.
- Essential oils like castor oil, tea tree oil, etc. will not be applied directly on the scalp and it should be used by mixing any of the carrier oil like olive oil, coconut oil, jojoba oil.
- Test the essential oil if you’re using it for the first time. And avoid using it if you’re allergic to it.
- Make sure to apply most of these oils on your scalp rather than on all over your hair in treating dandruff.
Dandruff can be prevented by washing your hair regularly or for every alternative day, if you suffer from little dandruff. If you’re suffering from frequent dandruff attacks or severe dandruff then simply follow these oil methods at home to get complete relief from the dandruff and also it prevent the future attack of this dandruff. These methods are naturally safe without any side effects.
This is all about Different Oils for Dandruff. Try all these to treat the dandruff effectively.